Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Certifiable

You know how you glorify things in your mind? Imagining even the most mindless or difficult things to be worthwhile and even enjoyable later on? And looking back at the terrible experiences as “not so bad”? Maybe it’s some kind of self preservation to mercifully delude ourselves into smoothing over the pain or minimizing the trials we have faced. My mom said childbirth was like that. If any woman truly remembered the agony of labor there would be an awful lot of only children out there.

I believe I romanticize the future to an almost extreme degree. But I love it. I think it gives me drive and purpose. Helps me to obtain my loftiest goals despite the strain and drudgery I may have to endure to achieve them. It’s why we can work 14 hour days. Stay up all night writing papers. Go to the gym even though it’s the last damn thing we want.

When I think about getting my masters degree I’m like ‘ooh, I love studying and staying up all night’. It sounds all fun and exciting. Though the reality is you get little or no sleep, have to study more than anyone will really admit to, and then you’re seriously in debt and spend the rest of your life paying it off. Doesn’t that sound fun?!

Whoever said a little delusion wasn’t healthy?