Thursday, May 25, 2006

When (if) I grow up

Ever reason with yourself? I mean, not out loud. (I would never do that.) But like, try convince yourself that something is okay?

I am a Web Developer. I got my degree in Applications Software Development. But I don't really like what I do. I mean, it's alright. But I don't love my job. I like the people I work with, and a lot of the things I do, but I don't like just sitting around coding all day.

Duh, what did you think you were going to be doing when you went to school for programming??

Yeah, I know. But I just wanted to get through school, and I was already on my second major. I didn't know what else to do, and it was easy, so I stuck it out. I mean, I'm not hopeless here. I have a bachelors degree and they pay me to do what I learned in school. I'm good at my job. I'm just not in love with it.

I always have this guilt about wanting to change careers. I haven't been out of school that long. And I'm using my degree. But I want to do something different. In fairness, I never went through school intending to be a developer. I had more of a management career in mind. And I'm doing exactly what I had planned to do, get some experience under my belt and then move on. But now I'm also interested in pursuing my personal training and getting into nutrition.

So this morning, I reasoned to myself that I like some web development. And just because I don't want to be a code monkey forever doesn't mean I'm "betraying" my education. I'm growing. Yeah, that's what I'm doing. Growing. I could use my education to make web pages. Or get into some web design. I'm just giving myself choices. Right?

I'm not sure if it's working yet. But I do feel a little bit better every time I reason with myself. I'm glad we had this talk...