Thursday, November 09, 2006

Celebrate Natural Beauty

Have you seen those Dove commercials where "real" women are celebrated for their natural beauty? I'm sure we can all appreciate what they're trying to do; so few of us are perfect or anywhere near it. But an ad is just an ad, we still idolize the women of movies and magazines with their immaculately sculpted bodies and perfectly airbrushed faces. Who hasn't been influenced by these images? I see it in my pre-teen cousins who already ear makeup and ultra-low rise mini skirts.

I don't really spend much time on my appearance. I have the few things that I do, and that's all. I don't care to spend more time than I do, and I am okay with "getting by" as it may be.

So I had all but forgotten about those ads, and then my friend sent me this with a note that said "See, we are all super models".

And really all I could say was Wow. It's a really incredible visual description of the influence of our culture and what we've all come to expect of ourselves and of each other. And they're right...

No wonder our perception of beauty is distored.