Sunday, February 10, 2008

Moments of weakness

I've been sick for two and a half weeks now and I'm really starting to get frustrated with it. I think I have a sinus infection, first one I've ever had. I'm supposed to be in Florida next week for a conference and I really don't want to be sick while I'm there. Also, the usual remedy of sleep, vitamin C, echinacea, zinc, and chlorophyl aren't working. I mean, maybe they are, but I can't really tell. And there doesn't really seem to be an end in sight.

On Sunday around 5am when the coughing wouldn't stop and I was seriously fed up with the whole thing, I decided I would go to the doctor when they opened. This was not an easy decision, but I really didn't know what more to do. I sort of pride myself on being in control of my body and knowing how to care for it without the intervention of much in the way of pharmaceuticals.

So I break down and go to the doctor, and of course, there was an hour wait. But an hour turned into four and as I'm still sitting there the manager, who I know through work, comes in to tell me about the people ahead of me with some rather serious injuries. I completely understand, my little cold will not kill me, but lacerations and chest pain might kill those in front of me. But the four hours leading up to this point could have just as easily been spent in bed. So I leave, and to my surprise I'm fairly exasperated with the whole situation, thus the uncontrollable tears being excreted from my tear ducts. I hate crying. Seriously, lots of passion and dislike. Unfortunately I do it with rather annoying frequency. What can I say, I'm a girl.

H'enyway. Monday, I felt better. My mom told me about some other vitamins I could take that I happened to have, so I took those and kept up with the rest of the vitamins. And I went to my chiropractor and he made me feel quite a bit better. Did you know they can adjust your head? My sinuses have been draining all day. It is truly awesome. I mean, God or whomever must have been trying really hard to tell me not to go to the doctor. I think I'll listen.

Today I went to the healthfood store in search of a Neti Pot. My dad recommended it and I am up for just about anything at this point. A Neti Pot is pretty much the strangest thing I have ever experienced, but it is awesome. It's this little ceramic teapot that holds about a cup of warm salt water. You literally pour the salt water in one nostril while tilting your head to one side, fill up your sinus, and it runs out the other nostril simultaneously. It's totally bizarre, but feels absolutely wonderful when you're done. It's the coolest.

I had a moment of weakness but was saved at the last moment. I am happy to say I am "through the woods" and on my way to good health. :) No doctors, and no drugs.