Friday, March 17, 2006

Out with a bang!

Day 15 - Detox is OVER!!! And to celebrate I made dinner for ER and myself. It's also St. Patty's Day and she's Irish, so I decided on filet mignon. May as well do things right. I left work to hit up the grocery store. Three hours and five stores later I had finally gathered all of the necessary supplies. I'm telling you, I don't screw around. I got a cast-iron pan, garlic press, tongs, asparagus, a meat thermometer, wine, herb rice, and a handful of other things. I swear I made the most delicious pan seared filet you have ever tasted in your life. Granted, this is the first red meat I've had in three weeks. But it was really amazing. And on top of it, this was my first shot at cooking any kind of red meat that doesn't come in ground form. I'm so proud of myself.

Also, ER says I'm the best date EVER! I'm like, "I know!"

So fourteen days and I have a new, freshly flushed body. Honestly, I'm a little disappointed. I thought there would be much to write about. Much to learn. Wacky symptoms, terrible cravings, amazing realizations. But it was almost too easy.

Half way through I thought to myself that detox had been cake so far. Well, a non-sugar, no flour, no eggs kind of cake.. But literally so easy that I wondered what I was leaving out. I did fall victim to some minor indiscretions. One night I dipped two of my peices of sushi in soy sauce. GASP! It was too much to resist. And I unintentionally ate a can of lentil soup that had tomato paste in it. And I never did cut out vinegar, but for the most part I had been strictly following the diet. And I hadn't even experienced any symptoms.

That same day one of the expected symptoms finally did surface. The best one. Gas. All of the fiber had finally gotten rid of most of my intestinal bacteria. The good news? It was a friday so my co-workers wouldn't have to put up with it over the weekend. But the bad news was I would have to put up with it. GOSH! But I am glad to be seeing some symptoms. I can't believe I'm saying this.

So I'm disappointed. But it's over! And still good for me even though it wasn't as hard as I expected.