Monday, April 24, 2006

The romance of travel

I love to go places. It doesn't matter where I'm going, but something about the getting there part is so intoxicating to me. It could be a long car ride, a plane ride, a bus, a boat, a train. It doesn't matter.

Last night I had a two hour layover in the Detroit Airport. It was just like every other layover in every other airport I've ever been in. I was wearing my favorite jeans and I sat curled up in the last seat in a row of vinyl chairs, the ones with arm rests in between so you can lay across them. I had my Starbucks coffee in hand (You can't imagine my excitement when I found a Starbucks on my way to the gate.), my bag sitting next to me, and my hair all tied up in a knot. The only thing missing was the attractive boy sitting next to me. If he had been there I would have leaned my head on his shoulder to complete the moment. Hopefully he'll go along next time. But I just sat there watching people and thinking about the richness of the experience.

It's like John Mayer's song 'Wheel'. So much sadness, so much joy, so much anticipation and excitement. And all in one place.

Airports see it all the time
Where someone's last goodbye
Blends in with someone's sigh
Cause someone's coming home
In hand a single rose
And that's the way this wheel Keeps working out
And I won't be the last to love her


Maybe that song has defined my emotions about travelling. But more likely, it so eloquently describes what I've always felt. I always find myself contemplating things more deeply when I travel. Perhaps it's the catalyst of the changes I feel when I'm taken away from familiarity. I consider my life as it is. The things I used to imagine for myself and how they have or have not come to be. And the future that lays before me. I consider friends, relationships, family, and all of the people around me. It's one of the only times I feel absolutely connected to reality and aware of the world and happy to be a small part of it.

I believe that my life's gonna see
The love I give return to me