Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Dirty Laundry

I have a roommate I haven't seen in six weeks. She's home a lot. But she never comes out of her room. Ever. Either I'm an evil b*tch and did something insanely mean to her, or there's something really wrong with her.

So here's where I struggle. I'm sure she's nice girl. But she's just not the type of person I could develop any lasting friendship with. Her interests and mine are vastly different. I mean, at this point I'm not entirely sure she would remember my name if it weren't on the check I write to her for the electric bill every month. I'm sort of a fourth or fifth class citizen in her world behind dogs and the cute boy she saw at cvs last week.

I really never had a huge problem with this. We were cordial, and mildly chit-chatty, and other than that sort of just lived our separate lives. Worked pretty well. But this whole disappearance thing is bizarre. I figured she needed a little space. Lots of stuff going on in her life. Cool. Go for it. Let us (my other roommate and I) know you're alive periodically and we're happy to give you whatever space you need.

But six weeks is bordering on ridiculous. So am I to be concerned for her? Or just sort of shrug and move on? The problem is I get angry about it. Here I am trying to respect the needs of a person who doesn't see fit to speak to me. Being quiet in our creaky shower to not wake her up at 6am. Cleaning the bathroom for like three months straight because I figured she just had a lot on her plate.

The thing I've been struggling with is why it makes me angry. I don't get it. We're not really friends. We're roommates. I want her to be happy but I don't think it's my place to make her happy (not that she would want me to, or that I could). But still I'm upset wtih her..

So then there was this.. I only heard about it second hand. But it's so typical. And now I'm angry all over again.

edog: (in the kitchen)
her: (walks in the door) Hi!
edog: hey how are you?
her: good. so people DO actually live here...
edog: Huh? What're you talking about?
her: well, i never see anyone
edog: wellll, i imagine it's difficult to see people through a closed bedroom door.
her: yeah....well last night i had a bunch of stuff to do, so that's why i was in my room.
edog: and the rest of the past six or so weeks?
her: (silence)


Maybe it's like the ground hog. Six more weeks...

Update (7-13-06) - no such luck, she spoke, and I liked her better when she didn't.