Thursday, July 20, 2006

Things are going well

I'm following the plan and everything is generally headed in the right direction. I still want to move out West in the spring. For now I'm busting my butt on this project trying to meet deadlines and rollout a kick-ass site. Trying to limit my days in the office to 6 so I can get out and do things. Still teaching classes so that gets me in the gym a minimum of three days a week. My knee is healing, slowly but surely. Things look good.

Today we got our monthly email from corporate with our leave balance. It's in hours. I have 203.5 sick and 127 vacation. That's over five weeks in sick leave and more than three weeks in vacation time. Not to mention I've racked up 121 hours in comp time. Not payable to me if I were to leave, so I have to use them before spring.

The vacation time will be mine in a paycheck when I check out so I'm not concerned, and I never really use sick time so that's fairly irrelevant. But I rack up comp time at a considerable rate and don't have many opportunities to use it. I'm a bit worried it's going to get sucked into the black hole where socks and $20 bills go.

The site is going to probably go strong through November before it starts to taper off, so not much hope of using any large chunks of comp time before then. And a new site usually requires some considerable TLC for the 6 months following rollout, not to mention Version 2. Holy hell.

I do need to take a couple of trips out West before the big move, but I may need to switch to negotiator mode. See if I can bargain for tacking my "comp time" at the very end of my employment here. That would be sweet. It's all about how I play my cards.

Or, knowing my super-cool-kick-butt boss, he might just say "of course you can!" He rocks.