Friday, July 07, 2006

Like a kid in a candy store

I didn't get home until about 10 last night. But when I did I saw that the tent and sleeping bag I ordered from EMS had come. YESSS!!!

I lasted about 1 minute before I had to climb in my sleeping bag to try it out. Then E wanted a turn. Sooo comfy.

Want to set up the tent in the living room?!
E was all about it. I think she's got the bug.

You have to take me camping now!

It took us a few minutes to figure it out, but then we didn't want to get out.

Maybe we could sleep here tonight.
Or in the back yard!!

There was a long pause while we both seriously considered it.

We better not. It's already almost midnight..

I guess...

After the initial "sweet, a tent!!" settled a little, I had a minute to really evaluate my purchase. I think I made a pretty good choice with this gear. I did quite a bit of research and picked the brains of all the outdoor store employees. The tent's a Big Agnes, Seedhouse 3-man Superlight. Just about the right size for two plus elbow room. And weighs just over 4 pounds. Pretty damn light for a 3-man, 3-season tent. My bag, coincidentally also by Big Agnes, weighs about 2 and a half pounds. Awesome.

My other sleeping bag is huge. Super warm but I can't even stuff that thing into my hiking pack. And I have a four man Wenger tent that probably weights 12 pounds. Great for car camping but not really practical for backpacking. I'll be flying up to Maine and camping when I go to my family reunion in August. That plus the huge sale at EMS made now a perfect time to buy some lightweight gear. But really any excuse will do.

:) Happy girl.