Friday, June 23, 2006

Holy Lightening Batman!

I saw this episode of Batman once where he and Robin were hanging from a helicopter over the ocean and a shark jumped up and bit onto the rope. Batman said "here, use the shark repellant." I definitely could have used a little lightening repellant last night. The storm we had was crazy! It was like the lightening in 'War of the Worlds'. Okay, maybe not that bad. But intense.

It started as heat lightening, but then rapidly progressed. Before the rain came there was a cool breeze. That's when you know the storm's coming your way, low pressure. When the storm really got going there was a bolt every few seconds. The kind that burns into your retina so you can still see it after it's gone. The lightening started to hit pretty close, sometimes coming simultaneously with the thunder.

It was neat. But I also would have loved to sleep last night. It was so loud I was jolted awake every time a big bolt flashed or the thunder crackled. It sounded like a giant ripping through a forest uprooting trees and tearing them to pieces. I usually really enjoy thunderstorms, but an intense storm at night can be unsettling. We were definitely in the heart of the storm for a while because the hair on my arms would prickle every few seconds. Creapy.


Each time I thought the storm was moving away another huge bolt would strike with thunder right on its heals. I half expected to see those weird alien tripod things come walking by. Definitely surreal. Where's Tom Cruise when you need him??