Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Scream until your heart stops

Full force through the night, never resting, don't let go. Make your own rules, savor the moment, and be your own inspiration.

I miss that. The chest-swelling, mind-blowing sense of freedom and adventure that seems all but lost in that last summer break from school. That feeling that the summer was forever long and there was nothing to do but dream and wander, roam free with only desire as a guide.

And with no real responsibility come the consequent hours of reflection. Perhaps that was the glory of youth, time to think. And the luxury to be un-jaded, unpretentious, and still eager to dive head first into the deep. To appreciate and savor your overpowering emotions, the rawness of your feelings, the richness of the moment.

All I'm saying is that if I ever start referring to these as the best years of my life - remind me to kill myself. (Pink - Dazed and Confused)

It's not that being young was everything. Maybe it's that we had the time to reflect, the energy to push through, and the innocence of youth to still assume the best in everyone and everything. Hopefully the memories are better than being back there ever could be. Like cartoons you loved when you were a kid; the memories are amazing, but they belong in the past.

I came across this video once years ago and have been searching for it ever since. I finally, finally found it. It can be interpreted as you see fit, but to me it so perfectly depicts the full spectrum. Those in their youth whose fire burns brightly. Those who have grown up and let their flames die, never realizing what they've lost, or resigned to the idea that it's gone forever. And those who continue to seek it out through difficulties and change because it means something to them. Maybe it means everything.

The moments I remember from my youth aren't lost. Sometimes I catch a glimpse of the fire deep within me. Sometimes I feel it burning unrestrained. The feelings are still there, sometimes buried deep, but there just the same.

Rekindle your flame, be adventurous, pass it on. Show the world you're not tamed, you've just learned how to harness your power. Scream your heart out.

Lost Prophets - Rooftops