Friday, August 04, 2006

New ideas

It's strange that I teach yoga. I never really knew much about it. I had a conversation about yoga with a friend in college once, and I remember thinking how little I knew about it. But what I didn't say was how foreign it felt and how that made me shy away from it, too timid to even try it.

When I came to D.C. I lived really far from work. So I had to get up at the crack of dawn to get into the city to keep my commute to work under 2 hours. But then I was in the city by 7 and had two hours to kill. So I got a gym membership. I could roll out of bed, drive to the metro, read my book on the train (I read more books that year..), and work out watching the sun come up. Icky. But it worked.

I discovered Body Flow sometime during that first year and I was
instantly in love. Granted, Body Flow isn't pure yoga. But I knew right away that I had really been missing out. My closed little mind had cost me precious years of experience.

It's really not that dramatic. But I really don't want to miss out on things. It makes me sad to think that I avoided something because it was different. Because I didn't know much about it.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off your bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

~ Mark Twain