Saturday, September 16, 2006

Hack

Do you ever have those moments when you wonder how the hell you got where you are? Today I swear I crossed over into the twilight zone. I needed something I thought didn't exist, and it fell right into my lap.

I've been personal training for about two weeks now. And it seems as though everything is happening all of a sudden. I've launched myself into a whole new world and there are a million different things to learn. It's awesome. I mean, terrifying and intimidating, but awesome.

One thing I noticed right off the bat was one of the other trainers. His methods are dramatically different than those of the rest of the trainers, or those of any trainer you'll ever meet for that matter. But they're good. I understand what he's doing, and I don't even have to ask, I know his methods work. He does functional core training. And I've been trying to ask people about him, trying to figure out how I was going to approach him. He's pretty quiet, kind of intimidating, and one of those people that you automatically want to please.

So today I went to a core training class they were offering at one of the gyms. On the way there I was planning to ask my manager about this guy and his methods, and where I could learn more about them. So I walk in, and guess who was teaching the class. Yep. The very trainer I wanted to learn from! My day just got a thousand times better! I don't have to play detective to get his methods, he's going to teach them to me!!

We all sit down on our mats like good little students and listen to his training. It's hands on so we're down on the floor doing all of the exercises. He pulls up all of the buff looking dudes for demos and we are all humbled by their inability to do what he's teaching. But in moments he teaches them to do things with almost perfect execution. At the end of the training he starts to talk about how amazing it is for him to teach all of us. And he opens up about how great each of us are and how wonderful it is to share. And I'm thinking, wow, this guy is awesome! Not only is he a fantastic trainer, but he's one of those people we all aspire to be. Caring, loving, attentive, intelligent, and extremely successful.

God doesn't give you what you want, he gives you what you need.

He has worked with Arnold, Pro Football teams, The UFC circuit. You name it. He's done it. But here he is training in my gym. And he's an awesome guy to boot. Wow. I'm floored. I can't wait to work his methods into my training. I'm so excited! And I guess there are going to be more of these sessions in the upcoming months.

I mean, how luck y can I be? I sign up to work in a gym and immediately am put in a position to learn from the best. How amazing. I'm so excited by all of this. I was feeling a little depressed about working so much and being uncomfortable in my new environment. But now I really think God gave me what I needed.

And oh by the way I feel like someone kicked me in the side.. my core is killing me! It's awesome!