Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Never a moment

I've always been in love with music. There's almost no ailment that a good song played a few hundred times can't cure. Honestly. Breakups, bad days, horrible people. There are always exceptions. But the right music can usually sooth any pain. My disposable income has always been spent on cds. And now that we are all into the digital age with full force, it's digital music from iTunes. Who knew it could be so easy?

Sometimes I feel guilty for having my little white earbuds in so often. (What a good marketing scheme, you know? You see white earbuds and you know it's an iPod. H'enyway..) Before the iPod they were little black earbuds. Headphones are a fantastic way to make guys leave you alone at the gym, btw. Easier to hit on the girl without the earbuds..

But, back to the guilt, I worry about missing out on the real world. Here I am escaping into my head, just observing the world, not really participating. I walk down the street and watch. But how much harder does it make it to interact?

It's all well and good to consider these thing, but that's not going to change the fact that I want to be plugged in 24-7. I can't help it. Music is so addictive. Soothing, exciting, calming, thrilling. Whatever you want it to be. You get to choose. You set your own mood.

And I never thought I'd say this, but having a desk job has its advantages. I listen to whatever I want all day long. I may as well be sitting at my desk at home.. All I need is the iPod to escape. Shut out the world.

In my defense, there are times when I crave the silence. Yesterday after class, I got in the car and started driving. A few minutes went by and I realized I didn't have a cd in and the radio was off. Silence. It was so quiet. But so soothing. I didn't want to hear anything. I was enjoying the silence. I had any song I wanted at my fingertips. Literally. But I was happy just as it was. Nothing. I was able to let my mind wander as I drove. It was almost like meditation. Just breathing and thinking. I think I healed a lot of little mental sores that just couldn't quite close up. A positive thought here, a decision made there, it all adds up.

So when I got home and walked in the door, I was ready. No need to unwind. I enjoyed cooking, I relaxed and ate my dinner, and I felt like I was good company for the first time in a while.

Is it the iPod? I don't think so. But sometimes the silence is the best medicine.