Thursday, September 07, 2006

Traveling alone

Some people say it's the only way to go. I wouldn't say only, but it's definitely significantly different than having a companion. When I travel alone the experiences takes on a whole different feel. It's more than a little bit lonely, but it's also cleansing and calming. There are few external influences that touch me on a personal level when I'm on a plane with strangers, or in my car by myself. Most new experiences only brush the surface, so contemplation and thought can continue without interruption from emotionally charged ideas or people.

When I travel alone, I think about the changes I want to make. The issues I've been dealing with, and can settle into my thoughts more than if I were having to separate the present and the past, or my own thoughts from those of others. It offers a degree of separation and stasis. It's as if it freezes time, just for a moment, so I can process and consider. It's peaceful and soothing. But it can also be earth shattering. Without the comfort of distraction or a shoulder to cry on, sooner or later I must look deep into the eyes of reality and face my fears.

Someday I may take a long trip all on my own. Visit no one, just travel and explore. For now my traveling alone experience is just the getting there part. I usually go to see people. I stay with friends or family and my activities revolve around them. I wonder if I could handle actually traveling alone, start to finish. I have often thought that hiking the entire Appalachian trail solo must be a lonely 6 months. But what an amazing experience that would be.

Always so eager to swallow an elephant, but terrified to make the first move. I should remember to just take life one bite at a time. One step. One breath.