Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Lost, and I don't mean the show

I think I've mentioned before that my parents are big into going places and doing things. Doesn't matter what it is, as long as you're not sitting on your butt doing nothing. So when I was little they would very often pick us up from school and we'd go somewhere. Sometimes to the "city". (We called it that because it was the closest one. It was an hour away so it was usually quite an event. But we'd go with relative frequency.) Sometimes just for a drive. Maybe to some random town with some random restaurant they'd heard about. You name it. We were just always going.

So I grew up with this exploration influence. Go places just to see what's there. Drive up a road to find out where it leads. Stop in a store just to look around. Sometimes I would be bored out of my mind. But sometimes I would be really engaged; I have some really fond memories of random things my family would do.

We used to go to this random town in the middle of nowhere for a 3 gallon bucket of natural peanut butter every time we ran out. That thing would last us months! And every time we wanted to fill up the jar in the cupboard my dad would go down and mix the big bucket of it before scooping some out. My little sister and I would go sit on the stairs in the basement and watch him mix it. It was like a ritual.

I'd like to think I'm a better person because of all of the new things we were always doing. More flexible and adaptable. It used to confuse my sister. She could never understand why anyone would just randomly drive up some road. What's the point? But I think she's more adventurous now too.

But I was lamenting my exploratory spirit this morning when I got lost on my way to work. Yeah, the same job I've had for 3 years. And I've lived in the same town for 2 years! Every morning I take the same route to work. I stop at the same coffee shop. And I usually get to work at the same time. But this morning I was feeling feisty. I just thought I would change it up a bit. If I go just one more exit, then I can take that other road with the other starbucks. Hmm.. Yeah, well the road didn't lead quite where I thought. I knew about where I was, but not exactly. And I couldn't figure out how to connect where I was with where I needed to be. Doh! So I had to take the long way that I knew would work. And I got there fine. Just a lot later than I intended.

So yeah, it's dumb that I got lost on my way to work. But it was kind of fun too. I mean how often do you get the chance to sit in extra traffic? And just look at the new thing I learned. That road? Totally doesn't get me to Starbucks.