Monday, February 06, 2006

Do you know what insanity is?

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

So yesterday I stepped into an elevator with my partner in crime on our daily caffeine fix trip to the third floor. After the doors closed I realized there were two people having a conversation so I took a step backward as to not force them to talk through me. But they stopped talking and began a commentary that I was completely lost in..

"Yes that's right everyone must have a square."
"Huh?"
"It's like square dancing"
"Uhh..."
(Another person steps into the elevator)
"Excuse me sir, you should step over here, we all need our own space"
"But I was just..."

Vaquely similar to the time (in an elevator) I responded to a very simple question not even directed at me by offering a strange man some chocolate..

What is my problem?! I'm such an idiot. But at least I can laugh at myself. I do believe this habitual ridiculous behavior and the subsequent surprise at the result qualifies me as insane.

Update: The following explanation, courtesy of my partner in crime.

Ok...here's the Paul Harvey on this one...

The thing that made that lady comment was, I think, that you were standing by the doors facing into the elevator (which was, I know, so you could face me and we could make googley eyes at each other through their conversation...because it's what we do :). The result was 5 people standing around the edges of an elevator all facing toward the center...which defies all the laws of civil inattention (which imply that in an elevator, everyone must placidly stare at the numbers to watch them change...which is a silly thing, but it's what people do...you and I, of course, are not those people, given our propensity for grand elevator escapades).

Now, when the next guy got on, there were 6 of us...three women and three men...which is one couple short of a full square dance formation...and since we were all facing the center anyway, it looked, well, a lot like square dancing. Hence, I think, her comment.

Side note: Wow...how geek is it that I know all about square dancing?

So, in summation, I would say that you are not, in fact, insane (or, well, ok, at least not because of this!)...you don't have any particular problem related to elevators except that anytime you board one with me weird stuff happens. Personally? I love it! I can barely wait to see what kind of grand adventure we'll have next!