Thursday, February 02, 2006

Rules

I'm not sure when it was, but at some point I figured out that there are no rules in life. I mean, yes, there's the golden rule. And rules of etiquette and morality and what have you. But I mean there are no rules that say, you must graduate high school and go to college. And then get a job and work until you die. Or, you must get out of college, find someone nice, and get married. Then by age whatever you should have children.

Okay, so maybe this has been obvious to everyone all along. But I had to figure it out on my own. Now I won't say some of those things aren't wise plans to follow. College is generally considered a good thing. But I think a lot of people get caught up in other peoples expectations and/or their own misconceptions about the way things should be. In reality, things should be the way you want them to be. You need to fulfill your responsibilities, but beyond that there's no predefined rules. Just do what makes you happy.